Indiana Tourism Academy
In 2022, ITA launched the Indiana Tourism Academy. The mission for the academy is to provide education, resources and networks needed to develop tourism professionals for the state of Indiana.
- Need to educate more individuals in the tourism industry to deepen Indiana's tourism bench for the future
- This is the only education program for tourism industry professionals to grow their knowledge on a statewide level
- Any individual in the Indiana tourism industry who is looking to grow in their knowledge of the industry from a statewide perspective
- Preferred two years in the tourism industry
- ITA limits one person per organization in each class
Participants will attend six, in person sessions held from 9:30am-3pm (EST) covering the following core topics:
- Tuesday, March 12 - Tourism 101 (held during Indiana Tourism Conference in March and will only be a one hour session)
- Wednesday, April 17 - Tourism Executive Operations Location TBD
- Wednesday, June 12 - Tourism and Hospitality Assets at the Indianapolis Airport Authority
- Wednesday, October 16 - Community Development/Quality of Place/Economic Development at T.C. Steele State Historic Site (Brown County)
- Wednesday, December 18 - Tourism Research at the Indiana State Museum
- January/February 2025 - Tourism Advocacy in Downtown Indy
Participants will participate in four zoom calls throughout the year tentatively set for the following dates at 10am (EST):
- Wednesday, February 21
- Wednesday, May 15
- Wednesday, August 14
- Wednesday, November 13
- Participants will submit a final "project" that will showcase the information learned and apply it to a destination/community/region
- Participants will have a book component to read/discuss with their class
- Participants will leave with an overarching understanding of the tourism industry and be able to articulate that to others as well as advocate for the industry
Application and Program Details:
- Cost for the academy is $799/Member and $999/Non Member. This includes:
- All five sessions (outside of the conference session), lunch and parking
- $100 off Indiana Tourism Conference registration for current year
- Payment is due before the annual conference. An applicant may withdraw their application up to two weeks prior to the April session and receive a full refund. After the April session, any participant who withdraws from the program, for any reason, will not receive a refund.
- In addition to the application, a letter of recommendation from a current ITA member and a current resume is required
- Deadline to apply for 2024 will be December 31, 2023. Click here for the application.
Please contact Carrie Lambert if you have any questions.